Saturday, April 29, 2017

End of Semester Project

For my project I waned to focus on not just the women that we talked about in class by also women artist who effect modern day people. Today one of the most talked about movements is the Black Lives Matter movement. I choose to do this project on this movement because it effects me personal as a women of color growing up in today's society. Art is a way that people say what they need to say with no words. The black community has been silenced for many years so it only makes since the people of color would use art as a way to express the pain, anger, and unfair treatment that has come our way. Being born as a women of color you have two strikes against from the beginning, one you are black and two, your a woman. Society has always felt threaten by women in power that is why i think it is important to show off the women artist who have succeed. I presented my project to some 7th graders at my old middle to empower the young women of today's generation. It was also important to me that the boys see women in power so they are not threatened by it in the years to come.


When I presented this to the kids i had them draw some of the paintings from women artist that I talked about. I also used this as community service hours so I have two signatures from teachers that witnessed.

    


The boy is holding up his painting of Yoko Ono art of  button collection of 24 Languages and the girl is holding up a piece from a black lives matter women group  known as BWA. The importance of the movement is something indescribable for people who don't understand. For people of color the movement is so that people can stop judging our abilities based on the color of our skin and showing the world that black is no different from white.
Refrences:
 http://www.notey.com/blogs/female-artists

https://bwaforblm.tumblr.com/


http://www.newmuseum.org/calendar/view/1061/black-women-artists-for-black-lives-matter






No comments:

Post a Comment