Tuesday, April 25, 2017

SEMESTER PROJECT- THE POWER OF MAKEUP AND PEOPLE LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilYbJUphgbY Karima Nasr Professor Cacoilo Semester Project 24 April 2016 The topic of my semester project is on makeup, the empowerment of it, and the male gaze perspective behind it. My project is presented in a youtube video on my channel. I have done research off of two articles, Louis Hungs, “I'm Amazed How Differently People Treat Me When I'm Wearing Makeup” and “8 Scientifically Proven Reasons Life Is Better If You're Beautiful” by Dina Spector. Hung’s article talks about her experience with having makeup on and no having it on. She proves that people are genuinely more happy towards one who “looks beautiful” and sometimes even gets special treatment and respect. She also explains that she does not need makeup in her life, but it does give her some sort of power and confidence. For others as she quotes, makeup is “armor”. She admits that it is pleasant to receive compliments and looks, but it all might be for the wrong reasons. My second article, is a quick straight to the point selection that gives a scientific explanation to why most women like Hung, get treated differently just because of some enhancements. The article “8 Scientifically Proven Reasons Life Is Better If You're Beautiful” states that people who are more beautiful are viewed as “healthier, are actually healthy, intelligent, more persuasive, can sell more, are more likeable and trustworthy”. With this information researched, I will test it in a social experimental format by having me and other “models” wearing makeup and not wearing makeup in public, recording different reactions. This project best fits into my professional ambitions because I hope one day to be a successful entrepreneur in the makeup world. This project is a great opportunity to see what the social/scientific effects and explanations of the use of makeup are. After testing the social experiment, the results show that the male and female gaze is not completely in tact. I asked a mixture of men, women, and couples if they would give me change and or go on a date with me with and without makeup. With and without makeup there were times where I would get change and times where I did not. This showed me that people did not really care for the most part what i looked like. Yet, I have to admit that I got more of a negative reaction without makeup. With the makeup on people showed more concern for me even when they did not have the money. Overall, essentially, although I got equal results receiving and not receiving money, it is evident that the article’s claim is somewhat correct; that people react “happier” essentially to see someone who has makeup on. Perhaps this is because makeup makes women look more put together. Ultimately, women should feel beautiful in their own skin. From this experiment, it is proven that people will not treat you much different based on appearance. With this idea, we should remember that what we feel is what radiates to people. Meaning that, regardless of how we look, our intentions and aura is the best accessory to ourselves.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great social experiment and a valid and important conversation about how women are seen and judged. What I am missing is the connection to art and scholarship. Where is the research? Continue this project and connect it to the coursework. How does the male gaze connect to other art and media projects like yours?

    ReplyDelete