Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Draft Poem





Rana Yassa
April 24th, 2017
Born to Be Shamed 

“It’s a girl”
I grew up being described as ‘Beautiful’, ‘cute’
I was told that one day I would make a beautiful bride.
I grew up to be programmed in a certain culture.
To dress a certain way; not too short, not too revealing and not too sexy
To talk a certain way; not too loud, not too demanding, and be obedient
To walk a certain way,
I was told to live a specific, decent and the right way in the eyes of my culture.
I was told to never sit with my legs wide open, while my brother was never told the same thing.
I grew up to be limited and controlled while my brother grew up gaining more Freedom.
Was it something I did?
Did I not deserve as much freedom?
I grew up to believe that the world is too scary, and that I can’t trust myself out there.
I grew up to believe that I am too weak, too fragile, and too irresponsible to handle my own life.
I grew up to learn that I would always need a man in my life.
I grew up loving my brother,
Loving his life,
Loving how my parents always looked up to him.
I loved him so much that I wanted to be like him in everything.
But I also grew up to be rebellious,
To ask questions
Questions that always had one answer.
‘You are a girl’
I started to hate being a girl,
Holding up everyday the burden of being a girl.
A backpack that had all the negative words I heard,
About my body
My hair
My makeup
My dresses
And so on.
Holding the feeling of being less worthy,
Less righteous
And less accepted.
I grew up being told to never show so much of my body,
While seeing my brother taking his shirt off whenever he pleases.
It never made sense to me; was something wrong with my body?
I grew up to learn that my friends,
Neighbors,
And society
Will always do one thing; sexualize my body.
I grew up seeing the media all around me praising naked women,
Praising a model type of body
Praising blonde Hair
And Loving colored eyes.
Later in High School;
I learned that the only way to attract attention is by sexualizing myself.
I grew up to see girls throwing their bodies on guys and being called
‘cool’
‘sexy’
‘Fun’
I grew up wanting to be called ‘sexy’
I wanted to look ‘cool’
I grew up wanting to have a sexy body, and to fit in this society.
I also learned that education doesn’t matter as much for me as for my brother.
I grew up believing that if I am a nice looking girl that would be enough.
I grew up learning the worst.
I grew up knowing that the only way I will ever be seen is through my body.
I tried to fight back
Protest
Refuse to be like many other girls.
But I was told to give up,
To give up my dreams,
To give up the life I wanted to live.
I grew up to learn that everything is impossible for me.
But then I grew up to find other women fighting for me;
 Creating their own beauty, worth, and forcing the world not just to accept them the way they are but even recognizing that there is another way for women to live.
Baraba Kruger
Protesting, Fighting,
Proving that women can do much more that just;
Cook
Clean
 Get Pregnant
Cry
Instead claiming that women are;
Powerful
Successful
Smart
Intelligent
Creative
Loving
Supportive
Worthy
And above all can rock any kind of career.
As she quotes;
“Your body is a battleground”
Switching women from being a sexual object,
To a beautiful art project.
Reversing the eyes of society from women
To cultural norms,
To gender roles,
And to faulting the mind set that we all grew up to be.
Another women to look up to,
Yoko Ono
Giving a new perspective of women,
Brave
Respective
Demanding
Pointed on society as the one to be blamed.
Refused to believe her body is shameful,
Refused to sexualize her body,
A pair of scissors
And a full covered body is all what Ono used,
Criticizing the audience
Showing they are the ones who act
Who chose to cut,
And tear away her clothes?
Ono takes the weight off the women shoulders
And projects it onto society
Boosting my confidence as well as many others
I grew up refusing to fit in a society,
Instead I chose to construct my own society that fits my standards and beliefs.
I proved myself,
I am worthy
I am beautiful not because of my face and body,
Beautiful because of my mind and soul
I am sexy in every creative idea,
I am fun and cool to be around;
Because of my witty laugh and warm smile.
I am loved and accepted;
Because I chose to surround myself with people like me
People who love me for who I am
People who fuel me with positivity
People who help me achieve my dreams
I surrounded myself with people who chose to be there for me
Standing there
Pushing me further to reach the life I grew up to dream of.


1 comment:

  1. I can imagine you performing this piece at a poetry open mic!! Go see some poetry being read and then READ THIS PIECE to an audience!!

    ReplyDelete