Monday, January 23, 2017

Mini Post: Paula Scher



Wilfredo Jimenez
Professor Cacoilo
Art and Women
January 24, 2017
Paula Scher

            Considered the most influential and empowering women in all of design today, focusing on Branding, advertising, interior design, graphic design, painting and drawing; A balanced artist in all disciplines. She began her path towards design at a young age with an interest in drawing and painting as an escape for the social abuse she suffered for being weak, unpopular, weird, and antisocial. As her only outlet from this world in high school she would study design at the local community college on the weekends; hiding her secret life from her friends and family because as she states “being a female artist at the time wasn’t a thing”. After years of dedication and hard work over a 40-year period she became the most well known and awarded graphic designer internationally, taking on jobs for giant companies like google and Microsoft and sharing her creative work with the world. She been featured at the MoMa, Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum, Philadelphia Museum, and more.


            I wrote about Paula because we come from a similar background, at a young age I didn’t have many friends or family around and wasn’t the most popular kid. My outlet was drawing and painting with watercolor paints. My family had a background in the arts and the would coach me on the proper way to execute techniques and taught me new things from time to time. As I got older I evolved from drawing to painting, from painting to sculpting, then to fashion, until I stumbled on to graphic design. The thing that hooked me on to design was that there Is no clear definition, so you are free to mix and match as many artistic discipline’s as you wish and in my previous years of study in art I did not have that. I’ve had the privilege to see her work in person and it gives of an energy of excitement and power, it represents someone who learned where they belong.

Paula Scher
Newark Performing center design
Citi bank logo by Paula Scher



No comments:

Post a Comment